Producing Alpha Channel movies

Filters, blends, crazy new effects. Discuss new features in Flash 8 and how to use them best.
SandDemon

Producing Alpha Channel movies

Post by SandDemon » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:01 am

Alright, I've got a standard avi file of a lady talking infront of a white background - it's in millions of colors, but whenever I try "encode alpha channel" in the new Flash 8 Video Encoder it comes up black or blank.

I've got Adobe Premiere Pro and some other video editing software, so what do I need to do to get this to work? Anyone worked with this new alpha channel feature yet? Have any resources for us?

Most of the examples I see have pre-made videos or are not even updated for Flash 8.

Anyone? ;)

SandDemon

Re: Producing Alpha Channel movies

Post by SandDemon » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:22 pm

Well after much toiling over Google since Macromedia has no walk-throughs or help in this area, I finally figured it out.

With Adobe Premiere, set the file type to Quicktime (so you get an mov), set the Compression rate to "Animation" and select "million+ colors" NOT "million colors" from the color amount.

Then you're set.

Devant

Re: Producing Alpha Channel movies

Post by Devant » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:43 am

SandDemon wrote:Well after much toiling over Google since Macromedia has no walk-throughs or help in this area, I finally figured it out.

With Adobe Premiere, set the file type to Quicktime (so you get an mov), set the Compression rate to "Animation" and select "million+ colors" NOT "million colors" from the color amount.

Then you're set.
Well well: millions of colours plus! Yes that makes a difference. I began with: http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/flash/ ... ingid=CVKU

but step 6 says: Navigate to Video Effects > Keying > Color Key in the Effects panel (see Figure 8). Drag the Color Key plug-in from the Effects panel to the thumbnail in the Video 1 channel.

There is no "Colour Key" to drag in my Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5. This is really odd because the tutorial clearly shows Color Key as one of the items on the Video Effects > "Keying" list.

Much fumbling with keys ...

million colours plus is certainly a workable clue. Though I still have an opaque alpha channel, probably because I need to understand keys a little better.

On another Forum, a fellow responded to say that he did have "color" as one of the key video effects.

I'd sent a bug report to Adobe and feedback to Macromedia.

Thank you SandDemon You got me on the right track. Lots of googling before I found this forum.